Submit an Abstract Proposal for #BMHC22
The Black Mamas Matter Alliance, Inc. (BMMA) is excited to share that we are officially accepting abstract submissions for our 2022 Black Maternal Health Conference and Training Institute (BMHC22),which will take place this Fall on September 17 and 18, 2022!
Founded and led by BMMA, BMHC22 serves as the premiere assembly for Black women, scholars, creatives, clinicians, professionals, advocates, and other stakeholders working to improve maternal health using the birth justice, reproductive justice, and human rights frameworks. This year’s conference will be a hybrid convening taking place at The Renaissance Hotel & Conference Center in Washington, D.C., and through the virtual conference app, X-CD.
The theme for BMHC22 is “Building for Liberation: Centering Black Mamas, Black Families and Black Systems of Care”, which reflects BMMA’s work in centering Black women’s scholarship, maternity care work, and advocacy across the full-spectrum of sexual, maternal, and reproductive health care, services, programs, and initiatives. Additionally, this year’s theme reflects the critical need for learning about Black Feminist and womanist approaches in strengthening wellness structures within our communities and across the Diaspora as a revolutionary act in the pursuit of liberation, and in the global fight to END maternal mortality.
Learn More About the Black Maternal Health Conference and Training Institute here.
BMHC22 will offer a national space for learning, rich discussions, and mobilization to transform Black Maternal Health, Rights, and Justice. The hHybrid conference meets a national need for a forum dedicated to Black maternal health and Black people working to improve our outcomes.
We encourage you to consider the breadth and weight of the work you have done or are doing within reproductive justice and birth justice spaces and submit an abstract proposal for consideration within one (or more) of the following Conference tracks:
- Policy/Advocacy – Addresses, advocates and/or presents health equity informed local, state, federal or international policy work that can shift the landscape of Black Maternal Health, globally and domestically (U.S.).
- Holistic Care & Clinical Innovation – Addresses gaps in care and continuity of care; Is culturally informed and includes traditional practices; Is Black Mama-, family-, and parent-centered and patient-led.
- Research/Evaluation – Explores and utilizes scientific methods & principles that builds the evidence for; assess innovative approaches to; and/or identifies new scholarship in advancing Black maternal and reproductive health.
- Culture Shift/Creative – Presents new or unique thoughts, ideas, practices, and/or forms of media that has become or is becoming a part of the existing culture within Black Maternal Health work and spaces; or highlights our collective creativity within Black Maternal Health spaces that serve to drive the work forward with an emphasis on Black Feminist/womanist praxis and Black cultures.
- Special Topics – Any specialized content that is relevant to the specific climate and landscape of Black Maternal Health at this moment that may not be captured in any of the other conference tracks.
BMMA is accepting submissions now until Friday, March 4th at 11:59 EST. Please click below to start the process. If you have any questions, please email abstract@blackmamasmatter.